Sunday, October 21, 2012

Recovery

This weekend's focus was recovery.
Saturday was pretty awful, and I woke up feeling terrible. My terrific boss allowed me to have the morning off so I was able to sleep in until noon (If that isn't an indication of sickness then I don't know what is...), at which point I dragged myself to my friend D's apartment for Shabbat lunch. A small glass of Kosher wine along with some challah (my absolute favorite) and broccoli kugel (I sincerely hope that I'm spelling that right) and I was feeling a little better.
Before I go any further, I would like to clarify that I am not Jewish. My beliefs follow "Christian" lines. However, with that being said, I try to partake in Shabbat with D as often as she is in town for it. In fact, she is the only Jew in attendance at our Shabbat dinners more often than not. But I have been exceedingly fortunate in the friends that I have found at school. I believe (and I am not alone in this) that is of the highest importance to support my friends in all that they do. I love that D keeps her religious holidays and I am more than happy to celebrate with her as often as I can. I believe that there are few things more important than fellowship with friends and I have heartily enjoyed learning about her beliefs and partaking in them with her. We absolutely do not try to convert each other, or undermine each other's religion, we just accept it and support it.  She is one of the best people I know and I am so glad to have met her. Plus, the food is fabulous :]
At any rate, the rest of the day was dedicated to resting and sleeping and being cared for by A. Gotta love him <3 I showed up for my second shift of work only to be given a great big hug by my boss before sending me home. I love that she truly cares about her staff and that somehow she always knows just what to say and do to make me feel better. I am truly blessed.
So as a result of ridiculous amounts of sleep, I was feeling much better this morning. As I mentioned in my last post, my friends and I were planning on hiking to the "C" today and I was feeling up to it, knowing from past experience that exercise usually makes me feel better when I'm sick (I know, I'm weird). So we grabbed our waters, put on our shoes, and struck out on a beautiful day with perfect weather for some hiking.
 

 

 

 
Me and A being super silly

 
Me and my boys <3

I only legitimately fell down once coming down, which is something to celebrate for me. Haha, I only have a few scratches, so I say that the trip was quite successful. Once we were done we all came back, had lunch together, and then I tried to take a nap :]
And now I am taking a break from doing some homework, reading The Odyssey and drinking a glass of wine. I'm feeling better than I have in two weeks and I am really stoked about that. Tonight everyone is coming over to our house to watch The Walking Dead (it's been a tradition since the show started to all get together and watch it) and I plan on going to bed right after.
I finally feel ready to take back control of my life, and I'm pumped for this week (even though I have another midterm). I still feel tired, but not exhausted. It's more like the tired you get from a fun day, which I can definitely deal with.
I finally feel recovered.


Although I am still quite behind in my homework, so I guess I should get on that :]

No comments:

Post a Comment